Sunglasses: a Fashion Accessory and so much More!
- Posted on: Jul 30 2016
In today’s society, we can make just about anything into a fashion accessory – and we find a way to do just that. When it comes to sunglasses, though, it is important to keep in mind that, in this instance, form comes secondary to function. Sunglasses play a very important role in your overall eye health, today and far into the future. Here, we will touch on 5 reasons to wear sunglasses every day.
- Comfort and visual clarity. There is nothing like the constant glare and brightness of the sun to cause issues with being able to see what you need to see. Squinting because of sunlight often leads to headaches.
- Adaptable vision. You have probably noticed that everything looks very dark when you go outside and then back inside. The ability that your eyes have to adapt to darkness is diminished the longer UV exposure occurs without adequate protection. This can potentially put you at risk if you spend a lot of time in the sun, and then try to drive at night.
- Protection from UV light. UV light is radiation that can cause growths to develop on the eyes, sunburn called photokeratitis, and can increase the risk for cataracts.
- Protection from blue light. There are several spectrums of solar light. Those that are blue and violet have been linked to macular degeneration. Full UV protection is especially important for those who would call themselves “sun sensitive.”
- Skin Cancer. We apply sunscreen to our arms, cheeks, nose, and other areas to protect ourselves from skin cancer. But due to the sensitivity of the eye area, we may not apply product to this skin. Sunglasses provide the necessary protection that diminishes the risk of skin cancer on this susceptible area.
The ideal pair of sunglasses with depend only partially on your personal preferences in terms of style. UV protection is the most important factor in choosing this fashion statement. Many sunglass lenses filter all UVA and UVB light, so look for 99 or 100% protection. Also, grey-tinted lenses are quite good at blocking glare without distorting colors much.
It is not necessary to spend hundreds of dollars to get a quality pair of sunglasses, but consulting with your eye doctor, or at least looking for some type of “stamp of approval” on a selected pair is a wise decision.
We are happy to help you discover more about your eye health and how to maintain it. Call and schedule an appointment with our friendly team today.
Posted in: Eye Care