LASIK (laser-assisted in situ keratomileusis) has helped improved the lives of millions of people for more than a decade now (it was officially approved by the FDA in 1998). Like all forms of surgery, it has its own set of potential risk and complications that should be carefully assessed and considered before the procedure.
Here at our practice, we make it a point to obtain informed consent from patients who are considering about having LASIK. One of the steps to obtaining such consent is to inform them of the possible risks and complications during and after the procedure.
Generally, the following side effects may be present within 3 to 6 months after the procedure:
- pain or discomfort
- blurry or hazy vision
- sensitivity to light
- sensation of dryness of scratchiness
- limitations in activities during the night due to poor night vision
- perception of halos or glare around lights
- contrast sensitivity or reduced sharpness of vision
- presence of tiny pink or red patches on the white of the eye
In rare cases, the aforementioned effects may be permanent. On the other hand, the following complications may also arise from LASIK:
- Infection or inflammation
- Bulging of the cornea (also known as ectasia)
- Over or undercorrection of the refractive error being treated which may need another session of LASIK, another type of eye surgery, or the need to wear glasses again
- Temporary or permanent vision loss
You can learn more about possible complications in this detailed post in our website.
Free LASIK Consultation at the Roholt Vision Institute
IF you’ve been considering LASIK for a while now, we invite you to our 2 hour Free LASIK consultation to help determine if you are a candidate for LASIK! Contact lens wearer must be out of contacts for 2 weeks for soft contacts and 4 weeks for gas permeable types prior to consultation. Call us at 330-305-2200 to set up an appointment for the Free LASIK consultation. We look forward to helping you improve your life through vision correction!