LASIK has grown to be quite a popular procedure for individuals suffering from farsightedness, nearsightedness, and astigmatism. However, we at the Roholt Vision Institute believes that it’s important for individuals interested in LASIK to have a clear understanding of the procedure — its advantages, downsides, and risks.
Below is a recommended list of questions to ask yourself and your eye care provider before making the decision to have LASIK.
1. Am I in the right age to have LASIK?
The ideal LASIK patient is above 21 years old when the eye’s refractive error is more likely to be stable around this age. Pregnancy, breastfeeding, and menopause are also known to affect one’s refractive error hence LASIK may not be advisable for women in the aforementioned stages in their lives.
2. Is my refractive error within LASIK’s approve range?
Extremely high levels of refractive error such as farsightedness and nearsightedness may not work well with LASIK. Individuals who haven’t had the same correction prescription for a year may not be advised to have LASIK.
3. What are the best and worst case scenarios following the procedure?
4. Does my current lifestyle (sports, hobbies, etc) make me an ideal candidate for LASIK?
5. If LASIK isn’t for me, what are the alternative treatments?
6. What type of adjustments should I do following the procedure? How long would it take for me to recover?
7. What kind of preparation do I need to do before LASIK? Do I need to quit certain medications?
8. What type of screenings do I need to undergo before qualifying for LASIK?
9. What specific complications should I look out for following the procedure?
10. How much will I most likely spend on LASIK?
Visiting Your Ohio Premier LASIK and Cataract Center
A visit to Dr. Roholt’s clinic in Ohio will assess several eye problems such as whether you need to have a new prescription or if you need to have certain vision therapies to improve visual functioning. Contact any of our three offices today for a personal consultation — call us at 330-305-2200 or fill out any of these these patient forms. We look forward to your visit!